My next door neighbor has unfortunately had a series of health problems over the past couple of months. The good news she is on the road to recovery doing 100% better. She just moved yesterday to a Skilled Nursing Facility about two miles from my house. Sara and I went to visit her this morning.
For those of you who don't know I spent almost a decade working as an Activity Director in a Nursing Home. Just walking in through the front doors seeing the staff buzzing around and seeing the residents there today filled me with such a complete sense of euphoria.
I know you must all think I am crazy, because most people would rather go get a cavity filled than step foot inside a nursing home, but I love it. It put such a smile on my face being there today and almost made me cry from the overwhelming feeling of how much I miss working in a place like that. I absolutely love the ederly. They have so much to offer and are such a wealth of knowledge and history. They just want to be loved, and truely love anyone who respects them and gives them attention. Beyond being a mother, being an Activity Director was the best job I ever had. So rewarding in ways I just can't possibly describe.
When I left my career to to move to TX and become a stay at home Mom, it was very difficult thing to do. As much as I loved my job, I always felt guilty and as if I was missing out on being with my kids and being a good mom to them. I always felt torn. And let me also state that being at home is not the right decision for every women. I have many of friends who are wonderful moms who thrive on having a career and being a mom. And I applaude them for their never ending energy of being able to juggle it all.
For myself personally, I know leaving my career and and being home with my kids is the right thing to do for me. I am in the right place at this point in my life. When I send my kids as young adults off to college, I want to know that I was able to give them all I possibly could as a mother, and for me that means giving 100% of myself to them. I'll be an activity director again. I know I am good at the job and will be good at it again. For now I just try my hardest each day to be a Good Mom.
No comments:
Post a Comment