Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Brain Zaps

Long time and no blog.  If you read on you will soon understand why.  Apologizes to my local friends, you can log off now, because I am sure you have heard all you ever want or need to know about brain zapps.  This ones going out to my out of town friends.

So I went to the doctor and asked to have my meds switched up.  After 39 yrs , 15 of those dealing with depression, I know my body and when my mental state isn't as good as it should be.  Hell, at least I've learn something from all the money I have dumped into doctors!  My Primary Care Physician honored my requested and wrote out a new perscription.  Although my body is pretty tolerant of medicines and I have have switched around my happy pills before with no problems...I DID ASK "Hey doc, can I just switch from one to another? I don't need to ween off or anything."  I was assured there was no need for that and sent on my happy way.

Last Tuesday morning April 13th, I tossed the old perscription into my back-up basket of pills and innocently popped the new perscription into my mouth.  And that's when it went down hill.

I noticed that I was feeling a bit dizzy and nauseous, which i figured was the old pills getting out of my system. I have felt like that when a skipped a day of pills in the past.  My daughter got sick the next day, and I was starting to feel a bit under the weather as well, and simply wrote it off that I caught something from her.  By Saturday morning I was about to rip my frickin'  head off my shoulders and drop kick it accross TX!

I had woken up in hell!  My head felt completely foggy, I was searching for words and couldn't follow through a single thought. This all was going on in addition to Brain Zapps.  What's a brain zap...well let me tell you.  You know those bug zapping machines you can hang on your back porch.  They attract flies and whe the fly gets close enough you hear ZZZZZZt!!  That was the sound I was hearing in my head symotaniously feeling an electric jolt in my head followed by a wave of nausea & dizziness.  Fun, right ?!?  I got to enjoy the zapps about every minute and a half to two minutes in addition to  everytime I moved.  Seriously, if you wanted to preach, "don't do drugs to a teenager", you should throw them on this perscription for a week then yank it away, so they could see just how much fun drugs could be!  Gaurantee we would be living in a drug-free society.

Paul and I jumped on the computer and did some research. Found a message board about the withdrawal symptoms from this drug with person after person posting the exact symptoms I was having.  Also, had Paul go talk to our pharmasist who's first words were, "Oh her Doctor majorly screwed up."  Wonderful, just how lucky can one girl get.  This experience was seriously as bad if not worse than my post partum depression.

So after a week of feeling like a crack addict going through withdrawals, three days in bed not moving, many tears,  a trip to a new doctor who specializes in dealing with ant-depressant drugs and a new persciption in hand, I am finally starting to feel a bit like my old self.  I still have no sense of concentration and a foggy head, but that too shall pass.     In the meantime I am staying home bound not driving and leaning on Paul and a lot of really good friends.

My husband, family and friends have been absolutely AMAZING.   I can not say enough about them. They have called, emailed, stopped by, wrote sweet notes & brought flowers.  Without hesitation they have taken over the needs of my kids, by getting them too and from school, and keeping them busy with playdates until Paul gets home from work.  I feel so fortunate to be surrounded by the friends and family that I have around me.   Although I have to live with depresion, I feel so blessed in so many other areas that truely matter.

No comments: