Saturday, August 28, 2010

Buns


With the end of summer and the start of school, somehow my pantry and frig had become pretty bare.  Or perhaps it was the fact that I had not been to the grocery store to do a big shop in weeks.  I had stocked up on plenty of school essentials such as Chex Mix and Capri Suns that I found on sale,  but somehow managed to forget the basics of bread and deli meat for my daughter's lunch.

So one morning this week after dropping Emma off at school,  I told Sara that Mommy could no longer be creative with what was in the pantry (one, can only have Hamburger Helper so many nights in a row).  We pretty much needed everything, but proceeded to take a quick survey of the pantry and frig to make sure.  I am notorious for overstocking on one item, like 20 cans of corn, but often forget to get something like peanut butter that we are completely out of and is an essential item in our house.

During my survey, I started to pick up the kitchen.  My family seems to think we have a maid who magically picks up after them.  My husband had left out a package hot dog buns.  I picked them up and put them in the pantry next to another partial bag of buns and thought, we should use those up so I am going to pick up Johnsonville Brats for dinner.

Getting ready for dinner that night I told Paul, brats were on the menu.  He said it sounded great, did I remember to pick up buns?   BUNS????  We have almost two packages of them in the pantry, to which he informed me that he didn't think they were still good.  What?  I had planned the whole meal around the fact that we had almost two packages of buns in the pantry.  One would think that an intelligent person (none who live in my house)  would not put buns that were getting old back on the shelf, but would turn around to the trash can 18 inches behind him and toss them!    And if this same person noticed that the remaining buns, that HE had left out on the kitchen counter, were stale, he would get rid of those as well!  Guess we should just fire our live in magical maid.

No comments: