Thursday, September 2, 2010

Boys

In the car the other day, Emma and I started talking about her school friends and the conversation eventually went to boys.  For the past three school years, Emma has zeroed in on one boy in her class and has self proclaimed him as her "special boy-friend."  Never thought I would have worry about either of my daughters being Boy Crazy until their teenage years, which at that point, my plan has always been to turn over all parenting responsibilities to Paul (good payback for when he was a teenage boy!).

I don't encourage boyfriends at this age,  but we were on the subject and it seemed like a good time to tease her.  So we recounted the special friends of the past....

Preschool:   Ethan....poor kid had no idea what was happening.  From the first day of school, Emma took a liking to him.  Everyday at circle time she would tell the class they were going to get married.

Kindergarten:   Dillion.....again zeroed in on him during the first couple of weeks of school.  Emma told him he was  her boyfriend, he had no idea what she was talking about.  Emma frequently reminded her teacher and classmates that they were a pair.

First Grade:  Cason...It was quiet the first part of the year.  Then Cason moved into the neighborhood.  Emma never said she had a crush on him, however her friends in her girl scout troop were more then happy to volunteer the information. Emma still has his school picture tucked away in her night stand.

So on our drive I tried to stay in the loop and  asked her if she had a special friend this year.  She replied, "No Mommy.  I am so over that!"

Big sigh of relief.  I can stop worrying about her becoming a teenage statistic for awhile.

No comments: