Wednesday, January 7, 2009

I think my Dog has Alzheimer

As we approach our beloved dog, Tally's 8th birthday, I am seriously questioning if she has Alzheimer's Disease. Here are the reason's why: if my kids bump any of their toys that make noise, my dog goes in to hysterics barking. Even after she runs to the front window and sees NO ONE she continues barking for another ten minutes. I guess she figures her barking will keep in potential home invader away (she should start worrying about driving the current tenants away!).

The second reason I think she has Alzheimer's is for over a year now we have had a new comforter on our bed. Once the comforter arrived, she was no longer allowed to lounge on the bed. The other day, while Paul and I were having a leisurely Saturday morning watching TV in bed, she jumped up on the bed and laid down in between us. Even my perfected death stare that should indicate that she is within two seconds of spending the remainder of her life in the pound, didn't get her two move. In fact it even looked as if she was smiling at me!

The thing that makes me absolutely certain that she has Alzheimer is the other day after the kids were done eating and the plates were still on the table, I caught her with her two front paws on the table licking their plates clean. She has never done this before. It took all my with straint to not pick her up by her tail and throw her in the back yard.

I have been trained in how to deal with human Alzheimer's, but I really don't think it covers the canine kind. Are there assisted living facilities for pets?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

are you certain she hasn't been hanging out with Rocky and Pebbles? They've been doing this their whole lives!