Monday, November 24, 2008

Silent Treatment

If you have seen my husband walking around in the past four days, grinning from ear to ear, let me assure you that it is not from any wild crazy moments in the bedroom (with two kids that room has become an abandoned amusement park!). That smile he's sporting is from the fact that his wife lost her voice and hasn't been able to complain, nag or yell at him all weekend. He's been enjoying the peace and quiet.

Several friends have called and have burst into laughter with my barely audible crackling "Hello." Its even worse that my girls are tormenting me trying to get me to yell at them just so they can hear Mommy's Funny Voice. I have tried to communicate by rapidly scribbling comments on a notepad, but quickly realized neither of my girls know how to read. You would think it would be a little more effective with my husband. However, not only has he mastered the technique of tuning me out when I am capable of talking, he has also learned how to tune me out when I am writing on paper and handing it to him to read. He does this by pretending to glance at it and then going about his business. When it is obvious he hasn't read what I wrote I have to repetitively tap the pen on the sentence right under his nose, until I get him to read it and acknowledge what is written. My hand is getting sore from gripping the pad while tapping it so hard with the pen!

The girls and him better brace themselves for when my voice returns. I have a good four to five days of talking and yelling to catch up on...and I plan to do it all in ONE day!

No comments: