We had a first from one of our drama queens this morning. My oldest, Emma, just goes, goes, goes like the energizer bunny. At age three she pretty much wanted nothingto do with napping, which of course was when her sister was a newborn and mommy could have really appreciated a little nap here and there.
Even today when Emma is tired, she doesn't nap. Instead she winds herself up fighting sleep and bounces off the walls.
Now that she is a "Big Kindergartner" she has an alarm clock in her room, although she doesn't know how to tell time. Usually she is up before her alarm goes off, but knows to stay in bed until she hears it (thank you Aunt Debbie for teaching me that trick). The alarm clock sounds like the fire alarms they have in school buildings. I swear it must wake up my neighbor every morning. Unfortunately, there is no way to adjust the volume.
Emma's alarm went off at its regular time this morning, and I was waiting for her to come downstairs to our bedroom as she does every morning. I waited..... and waited.......and waited, and no sign of my little one. The small amount of motherly instincts that I have, went into action and I got up to see what was going on. I hobbled to the bottom of the stairs (several days ago I pulled something in my leg, but that's a totally different story) and call out her name. No Response. I yell again and finally hear, "Go away, I'm tired." EXCUSE ME??? This really can't be my daughter, who's always full of energy saying this. So I yell her name again and tell her she has to get up for school. "No Mommy, I'm tired." All I can think is "OH NO. She can't start this in Kindergarten! There is no way I want to start fighting her to get up every morning for the next 18 years." Of course that thought spurs me on to keep shouting to her from the bottom of the stairs to break this habit before it even starts. Luckily she is not smart enough yet to roll over and put a pillow over her ears to tune me out.
After several minutes of us bantering back and forth, she finally stumbles out of her room, hair dis shoveled and eyes at half mass and makes her way down the stairs to start her day. Guess I should chalk this one up as a victory for mommy.
No comments:
Post a Comment